Arco (TN)

Arco (TN)

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Carpe Diem Special - St. Francis - September 16, 2014


Strange but true ... when I read the quote for today's Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Special, I had a deja-vu reading this quote and thought I'd might have already written about this quote:

 [...] "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” [...]
St. Francis of Assisi
But it was this quote I'd remembered!  


[…] "Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared" […]Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama)
Isn't it wonderful how candles were used each time to explain a spiritual reality ... and thousands of years apart. The post I wrote then was entitled: Inspired By Buddha.

 the light of a candle

is transferred to another candle—
spring twilight

© Yosa Buson

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

a winter's night
shadows flee from the walls
candle-light flickers


a tempest rages
warm glow of candle light
dispels the darkness


evening gloams
candle stands by the window
moth comes visiting


friends breaking bread
the guest offers new wine
by candle-light

 ©  G.s.k. '14

6 comments:

  1. I really, really like the image of bread-breaking as an opportunity to sip the wine of new friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I'm happy you enjoyed this pleasant scene.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely series, cara, I felt so calm reading this and especially enjoyed the last two:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cher ... I love candle light ... and what could be better than meeting with friends ... even a friendly moth ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have to echo Cheryl-Lynn and Mark -- the final two (visitor) haiku really stand out. Warmth, companionship, friendship, hospitality -- just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen ... it was a more difficult prompt than I'd expected so I'm happy that you (and Cher and Mark) found these two haiku inviting.

      Delete

harmonious words ... like crystal clear water ... pure ectasy

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments."