Arco (TN)

Arco (TN)

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chiyo-Ni - "In an unknown sky" - July 8, 2014

In Carpe Diem Haiku Kai we read:
Kaga no Chiyo, considered one of the foremost women haiku poets, began writing at the age of seven. She studied under two haiku masters who had themselves apprenticed with the great poet, Basho.... In 1755, Chiyo became a Buddhist nun -- not, she said, in order to renounce the world, but as a way 'to teach her heart to be like the clear water which flows night and day'. From that moment on she is known as Chiyo-Ni (Ni means nun).
Today's choice for the big 5 at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai is Chiyo-Ni (1703-1775) and as we read above the Ni means nun ... from the Wikipedia we read that she was the daughter of a pcture framer and began writing haiku at the age of seven and by the age of 17 she was renowned throughout Japan.  The haiku chosen is a fairly tipical subject for a Buddhist haiku ...

Chiyo- Ni

meigetsu ya ittemo ittemo yoso no sora

autumn's bright moon,
however far I walked, still afar off
in an unknown sky


© Chiyo-Ni
I think of walking under the bright moon in an infinite sky, unknown and unknowable as I read this poem ... the wonder and awe before the majesty of life.

crytalline sky
walking awestruck, under the stars
infinite beauty

© G.s.k. '14

8 comments:

  1. Nightly we get a new show in the sky.
    You capture the feeling so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we reamin awestruck at how small we are! Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous --- there's nothing like walking awestruck under the stars. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it gives me the feeling of the sillyness of our illusion to comprehend everything ;-)

      Delete
  3. I like to think of the walker as the one of infinite beauty...

    Moon in My Wineglass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. infinite in the infinite - nice thought!

      Delete
  4. I remember visiting in Upstate NY and seeing the Milky Way for the first time in the nights sky... talk about infinity and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... that's what my haiku was talking about - it just awes to really see the sky in all it's magnificence!

      Delete

harmonious words ... like crystal clear water ... pure ectasy

Thanks for your kind words. I do review all comments before posting - so if your comment disappears on you, don't fret. I will post comments as soon as I am able.

I do not post or return visits to "Anonymous Comments."